These are still a work in progress, but I like the texture of these at the moment.
Here is the recipe so far – will update as I remake them
5 potatoes – grated
90g grated cheese – I used jalapeno cheddar
1 egg, whisked
60g melted butter
tablespoon chopped chives
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup plain flour
Bowl of ice water
Preheat your oven to 200C
1. Give the potatoes a wash as I like to grate mine with the skin on, but if you don’t want the skin, peel and grate. Once grated place the potatoes into a bowl of iced water to take off some of the starch.
2. Drain the potatoes into a colander
3. Place into a clean tea towel and squeeze out all the excess water until they are dry.
4. Add the potato into a large bowl with the other ingredients and mix well.
5. Using a 1/3 cup measure, place onto a greased sheet pan and mould into rectangles.
6. Bake in a 200C oven for 35-45 minutes until golden brown