250g butter at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 3/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
200g block 70% Lindt dark chocolate, roughly chopped into chunks
1/2 cup chopped pretzels
sea salt to sprinkle on top or smoked sea salt if you have it
- Preheat your oven to 180c
- Measure 125g butter and place into a saucepan over a low heat, melt the butter until the foam starts to disappear and you can see little brown specks in the butter. Turn off the heat and move off the stove top until the butter has cooled.
- In a stand mixer, beat the sugars and remaining butter with the vanilla until pale and creamy. Add in the egg and egg yolk and mix until all combined, around 2 minutes. Once the melted butter has cooled, add into the creamed butter mixture and mix together slowly until combined and fluffy. This may take a few minutes.
- Measure your dry ingredients into a bowl and add into the butter mixture a little at a time. Alternating with the chocolate and the pretzels.
- Add in the remaining flour and mix until just combined. it should look a little sticky but hold its shape.
- Line a few cookie sheets with baking paper or SILPATS if you have them. Place walnut size balls onto the trays about 2cm apart as they will spread.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 13-14 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with a little sea salt once out of the oven and leave to cool.
The mixture makes around 45 cookies. You can make in a few batches.
- To freeze the dough – place a piece of baking paper onto the bench and spoon out the mixture onto the paper into a sausage shape. Roll up like a christmas bon bon and roll tightly in ClingWrap. Place in the freezer for a few months. When you want to use, just cut off slices frozen and bake in the oven. May take around 15 mins bake time