These guys can be made in bulk and frozen for later – another meal sorted that we don’t have to cook over the next couple of months.
YOU WILL NEED
500g chicken breast or thighs
1 large leek
1 large carrot
500ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons plain flour
salt & pepper
150ml cooking cream
6x sheets short crust pastry
pie tins or large texas muffin trays
PREHEAT OVEN TO 200C
1. Dice all you vegetables and set aside.
2. On a clean board dice up your chicken and set aside
3. Heat up a large saucepan on medium high heat and add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Throw in the vegetables and saute for 5 minutes until softened. Add in the garlic and stir to combine. Take the vegetables out of the pan and place onto a large plate for later.
4. Place the saucepan back onto the heat, add in another dash of olive oil and add in the chicken. Leave the chicken for 5 minutes until the bottom has browned then stir. Once the chicken has browned sprinkle over the flour and stir for around a minute to cook out the flour. Add the stock and the vegetables back to the pan and stir really well. Make sure to lift the brown bits off the bottom of the pan, this makes killer gravy. Season really well with salt and pepper.
5. Simmer for about 25 minutes or until the chicken has cooked and the sauce is thick enough to make a gravy. Add in the cream and simmer for another 5 minutes until heated through.
6. Take the chicken off the heat and allow to cool enough to place into the pie cases.
7. If you have pie tins or Texas muffin trays, lightly grease them.
YOU CAN ALSO MAKE A FAMILY SIZE ONE IN A GREASED LASAGNA DISH AND PLACE THE PASTRY ON THE TOP OF THE COOLED MIXTURE
8. Cut the pastry to the size of your pie tin/muffin cases. Add this square into the bottom of your tray and shape to size. Add a large spoonful of the mixture into a case then cover with another piece of pastry making sure that the filling is enclosed really well. I pinch or roll the edges together.
9. Brush with egg wash and place onto a baking tray into a hot 200 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Serve by themselves or with some greens.
I hope you love making these as much as I do. They are always a huge hit with the family.