If your kids are anything like mine packing their lunch boxes for school each morning becomes like ground hog day. The same sandwich and fruit, day in day out. Over the holidays my son discovered bacon and now he wants it in everything. This is good for me as his school lunch has been a jam or honey sandwich for the last 2 years.
We had a brain storm on what he would like to take to school for lunch this week and he asked for cheese and bacon scrolls. I have used wholemeal flour for this recipe, but you can also make them into GF scrolls with GF Self Raising flour.
Other scroll ideas:
Cheese and Vegemite
Chicken and pesto
Salami, mushroom, mozzarella
Ham, tomato and cheese
Spinach, feta and tomato
2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
90g cold butter chopped
3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons pizza sauce
1 cup grated pizza cheese
150g diced bacon
1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.Place flour and butter into a food processor and pulse until the butter blends into the flour and looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add in the milk and pulse until the dough just comes together to form a soft dough.Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently mix together to form a ball.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll out into a rectangle – don’t worry if its not perfect as you can always trim the edges.
- Spread the sauce over the dough, leaving a 2cm border.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese, bacon and oregano. Roll the dough up firmly into a log from the long side of the dough.
- Brush the join with a little milk and along the top.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces. Place on the lined baking tray cut side up, close together. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.