This recipe is the most requested dinner I make for my boys. I make it at least once a week and as I am typing this, its on the tonight’s dinner menu.
It is such a quick and easy recipe you can make it with just about anything. You can make it with chicken, salmon, tuna, vegetables, pasta, meat free, pasta free – the options are endless. It is all to do with the sauce.
This version I made with just bacon and a packet of frozen vegetables I had in the freezer. Food doesn’t have to fancy it just has to be full of flavour.
You can also make this in advance and freeze it to bake for a later time.
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of cornflour or tapioca flour if you are gluten intolerant
1 cup of grated cheese, I use colby or gruyere as they are always in my fridge
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 bag of frozen mixed vegetables, defrosted
5 bacon rashes
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Put on a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Lightly grease a medium sized lasagna dish
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, grate up your cheese and have everything ready to go while the pasta is cooking.
- Heat up another pan and cook the bacon until crispy. Add in the onion and garlic and sweat down until nice and translucent. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the pasta water is boiling, add in a tablespoon of salt and the pasta. Cook to the packet directions.
- Place the defrosted vegetables into a large mixing bowl, add in the bacon and onion mixture stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk until bubbles just start to appear. Dissolve the cornflour in 1/4 cup of water. Add to milk and cook, stirring for a few minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in the cheese, 1/4 cup of the parmesan and add a dash of nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Drain the pasta and place into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. Pour over the cheese sauce mixture and stir until completely combined. Pour into the greased lasagna dish and spread out.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Sprinkle over the pasta and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake for around 35-40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with a side salad or just on its own.