1/2 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup red lentils, washed
1 1/2 cup water
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 small carrots, grated
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon of paprika
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon each of chopped parsley, dill, chives and coriander (optional)
salt and pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
1.2 cup breadcrumbs
Dips and pittas to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Cook the pearl barley in a saucepan of boiling water, uncovered for 30 mins until tender. Roughly 1 1/2 cups water. Once cooked, drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- Place the red lentils, 1 1/2 cups water into a small saucepan over high heat; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook on a simmer with the lid on for 14 minutes, once cooked drain.
- Blend half of the lentils in a small food processor or blender until smooth and place the other lentils in the bowl with the pearl barley. Once the lentils are blended place into the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Grate the carrot into the bowl.
- Chop all the herbs and place into the bowl with the other ingredients. Add in the spices, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sprinkle in the breadcrumbs and the egg. Mix together to combine and place in the fridge for a few hours for the flavours to combine and cool.
- Shape the lentils into fritters, I used a ice cream scope as it made them all the same size. Makes roughly 8-10 fritters
- Heat about 2cm of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook half the fritters for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with a rack and paper towel and place in the oven while the others are cooking.
- Serve with your favourite dips, salad and pita bread.
Serve 4 or 2 very hungry people