We have the most beautiful strawberry farm right on our door step, so its a regular stop to either pick or purchase a few kilos. Mind you both my son and niece can easily destroy a kilogram in an afternoon.
With this abundance of strawberries, I thought a few little recipes might be the best thing to showcase their beauty. As its almost the end of the season, these gorgeous red beauties are large and bursting with flavour.
Over the course of the afternoon in the kitchen, it came to a vote as to what we should make with these beauties. My husband voted for Strawberry Friands, so here is the recipe :
Strawberry Friands – Makes 8
6 egg whites
185g butter, melted
1 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
100g fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
extra icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180c/350F
- Grease a friand tin or muffin tray
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl, whisk lightly with a fork until combined. Add butter, ground almonds, sifted icing sugar and flour. Using a wooden spoon stir until just combined. Divide mixture between pans, place sliced strawberries into each friand.
- Bake friands for 20 minutes, turn top-side onto wire rack to cool.
- Serve friends warm or at room temperature, dusted with extra icing sugar.